Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

News/ Supreme Master explained

First, the news. Caitlin took her first steps with a walker today! She's been pulling up and cruising on furniture, toys, your legs, etc. for quite a while now, and occasionally we've been able to get her to take a few steps while holding her up by her hands, but today for the first time she pulled herself up on a walker and took about 2 steps before sitting back down on her butt! Cherylle saw it happen several times, but she would never repeat it in front of me... Boo!

All this was happening while I was wiring up some lights we'd gotten from a trip to Ikea a while back, and hanging a canopy over Caitlin's crib. The lights consist of two pink 5-petal flowers and one green bug, and the canopy is made of a material similar to mosquito netting with large leaves and vines appliqued onto it. Her crib is in one corner of her room, so one of the flowers got hung on the wall at the foot of the crib, which is to the left as you face it. The canopy was hung center over the crib and spread out around the perimeter, and the bug and the other flower were hung to the right of the canopy, and staggered for height. It'll all look beautiful when I have enough light bulbs to go around - I didn't realize they were supposed to be candelabra base until after I'd already bought 25w medium screw base ones for the project! Oh well... it's not as if I'm supposed to be a lighting professional or anything...

---------------------------

Anyway, by request, here is further explanation of the cult I spent Labor Day weekend with. Supreme Master TV is the television studio for a religious group that follows the teachings of a lady they call the "Supreme Master" who preaches vegetarianism and green living as a way to achieve heaven on earth. The religious part is a blend of Catholicism and Buddhism, as she was raised Catholic and "found enlightenment" through the Quan Yin method of meditation, as taught to her by an enlightened master deep in the Himalayas. After returning from the mountains, supposedly she "spontaneously" became talented in painting, poetry, jewelry design, and a large number of other things that she sells to raise money for global awareness. The TV station is broadcast on a number of obscure satellites and on the website I linked to earlier. Most of the time they talk about vegetarian cooking, being nice to animals, and protecting the planet.

The funny part is that as big of a hippie as I am I don't entirely disagree with everything they espouse, I just felt like I was the only one not drinking the kool-aid while I was there! I was actually raised vegetarian as a Seventh Day Adventist, and although I've since converted to omnivorism, I can appreciate the desire to be vegetarian both from a health and a "cruelty to animals" perspective. I mean, I love a good hamburger, but have you seen those cattle farms in the California central valley? Disgusting!!

Anyway, the event I was working was a series of musical performers coming together for a concert for the TV station's 2nd anniversary, presented by a couple of B list celebrities, the most outstanding of whom was one of the producers of the movie "Babe" who was inspired to make the film because he thought it would help kids understand that factory farms are bad, as is eating your friends - and animals (even the gross ones) are your friends. Interesting, but so was the bacon and eggs I had last night for dinner. LOL

At some point the show I lit should show up on their website - when it does I'll link that video here so y'all can see some of what I did...

That's all for now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Caitlin! Parker loves his walking toy. At first, he couldn't go too far, but now he can even turn it around when he hits a wall. It converts to a riding toy, but his legs don't hit the floor. (FYI -- apparently, he is a little small even for an achon according to the folks at Hopkins.)

Caitlin's room sounds really cool. I am looking forward to seeing photos soon!

Amanda

Unknown said...

Congrats on Caitlin taking some steps! She'll be off and running before you know it, and then you'll be wondering where your little baby went. I hope you post a pic of her gorgeous room makeover, I would love to see it!

Greene Family said...

Go Caitlin . . . so exciting!! Her room sounds beautiful!

Charlene said...

Yay Caitlin!!! Way to go!
I would love to see pics of her room too, it sounds so pretty : )

mejane said...

Yeah Caitlin! Sounds like she is doing exceptionally well. As far as the rest of your post...huh? :)

Ever Changing said...

Congrats to Caitlin! Lilah was the same way with Trent for a while, wouldn't do anything infront of him and only did it while I was home; she soon learned to walk and is now walking independantly! Now she follows me everywhere! lol

Kim said...

So excited about Caitlin taking steps. That is so cool! I also would love to see pictures of this room. It sounds so beautiful. That is one thing about not having a girl-I love seeing all the frilly lacy feminie things I miss out on.
OMG! Your cult story was hilarious. Your commentray about eating hamburgers and eggs and bacon was what got me-and now I am truly starving. Off to make dinner!

Lisa said...

Congrats to Caitlin on the steps. That's a BIG deal. Our little girl Liz is four and she has achondroplasia. Oddly enough, my husband Brian (who sometimes guest-writes on our blog) was also raised a veggie as a seventh day adventist. All of his family is veggie - some for religion and others for health reasons. Liz is always trying to keep track of which of her relatives eat meat and which ones don't. I eat meat and Liz does too. Brian's back to eating meat now too. We're veggies when we visit his family. LOL.